The “right” strategy with the “wrong” organization structure will derail the best plan.
Leaders often find the idea of changing the design of their company daunting so they sub-optimize by tweaking current structures when in fact, their breakthrough strategies may require a substantially different organization form.
We demystify the design process and work closely with decision-makers to transform their internal organization in order to enable strategy execution.
We take a practical approach that focuses on formal organization design as well as collect data that gives us insights into how the informal, dynamic, and more flexible organization works.
We design organizations that will enable business strategies to be executed efficiently:
- Translate business strategy into organization design criteria.
- Conduct diagnostics of the current state organization.
- Identify the “best fit” organization structure: Organizing around products, customers, geography.
- Identify key roles within the organization structure – spans of control, levels of management, resource allocation, etc.
- Define how work will get coordinated and integrated across business units – workflows and key processes – networks, matrix, centralization and De-centralization issues.
- Define decision-rights, responsibilities and boundaries.
- Develop an operating mechanism for managing the organization and reducing complexity
- Test and implement the new organization – communication and change management.
- Assess the alignment and impact of the informal organization culture on the proposed design.
- Align talent management practices to support the new organization.